Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud provides flexible and scalable computing capacity on AWS cloud. When using Amazon EC2, you no need to invest in hardware upfront cost, so that you can develop and deploy applications faster on servers. You can use Amazon EC2 to launch as many as virtual servers you required, manage storage, configure security and networking. Amazon EC2 enables you to scale up or down resources to handle dips or spikes in requirements.
Features of Elastic Compute Cloud
Amazon EC2 has various features as follows:
- EC2 provides virtual computing Infrastructure, called as instances.
- EC2 contains preconfigured templates for instances called as Amazon Machine Images (AMIs) that has all packages you need for your server to run such as operating system and additional software packages.
- EC2 has plenty of configurations options of CPU, memory, storage, and networking capacity for instances which is called as instance types.
- EC2 has secure login information for each instances using key pairs ( Note: AWS stores the public key and you have to store the private key in a secure place).
- EC2 provides storage volumes for temporary data that’s deleted when you stop or terminate your instance called as instance-store volumes.
- Ec2 also provides persistent storage volumes for your permanent data using Amazon Elastic Block Storage called as Amazon EBS volumes.
- Ec2 has plenty of physical locations for resources such as instances and Amazon EBS volumes which are Regions and Availability Zones.
- Amazon EC2 has firewall ie. security groups that enables you to specify the protocols, ports, and source IP ranges that can reach your instances.
- It provides static IPv4 addresses for dynamic cloud computing called as Elastic IP addresses.
- It contains metadata called as tags that can be created and assigned to Amazon EC2 instances. It is a good practice to use tags.
- It provides virtual networks can be created that are logically isolated from the rest of the AWS cloud and that you can optionally connect to your own network called as virtual private cloud (VPC).
Amazon EC2 Instance Storage
EC2 instances can be created with two types of storage.
- Instance store volumes are considered ephemeral data storage means the data on the volumes only exists for the duration of the instance life.
- Once instance is stopped or shutdown the data is erased.
- The instance can be rebooted and still maintain its ephemeral data.
- Instance-store volumes are virtual devices whose underlying hardware is physically attached to the host machine for the instance.
EBS Backed Volume
- EBS backed storage are network attached storage.
- Provide persistent data in EC2 instances even if these are in shutdown state.
EC2 Instance Purchasing Options
Amazon EC2 has various purchasing options enable you to optimize your costs according to your needs as follows:
On-Demand Instance – It is most expensive but flexible purchasing option. Pay as you go and no upfront cost, billing in seconds, for the instances that you launch and use.
Reserved Instance – Reserved purchasing allows you rent an instance for a term of 1 or 3 years. Reduce your Amazon EC2 costs by making a commitment to a consistent instance configuration, including instance type and Region.
Spot Instance – Spot pricing is a way for you to bid on an instance and only pay for and use that instance when the spot price is equal to or below your bid price. Request unused EC2 instances, it reduces your Amazon EC2 costs.
Dedicated Host – You have to pay for a dedicated physical host to run your instances and bring your existing per-socket, per-core, or per-VM software licenses which reduces your EC2 cost.
Dedicated Instance – You have to pay by the hours for the instances those run on single tenant hardware.
Scheduled Instance – You can purchase instances which always available on the specified recurring schedule, for a one year time duration.
Capacity Reservation – You can reserve some capacity for your EC2 instances for any duration in a specific Availability Zone .
Savings Plan– To reduce your Amazon EC2 costs by making a commitment with AWS to a consistent amount of usage in US Dollars per hour for a 1 or 3 years terms.
Read More : Amazon S3 – Simple Storage Service